At present, there appear to be two sets of birds building nests on my patio. Now they aren’t helping me to pay the bills, but they are welcome once they don’t step foot inside my home. Truly though, it is fascinating to watch them do their thing.
So day after day, they bring their twigs, strategically placing them down one by one, until that mummy bird can give birth. They seem so peaceful, doing what is instinctual. As if God is instructing them, and I know He is. But it must take incredible patience to build an entire nest, one small twig at a time…but this is LIFE! Sometimes our dreams and destinies take months, years even decades to be fulfilled, but truly it happens tiny bit by tiny bit, day by day, twig by twig, small step by small step.
Birds are not the smartest creatures in town, if one has ever flown into your home and flown around for nearly half hour trying to find the door he just came through, you will realize that. But still they know how to take care of their own, still they know how to build a life, still, God has ordered their steps. I think that’s why Jesus used this creature to show us that if He is taking care of them, well He certainly has us covered!
Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn, yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life[b]? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest? Luke 22
So I try to rest in that, not ‘peaceably’ sometimes I admit, as patience is one of my spiritual fruits that needs ripening; but I am coming to realize that everything doesn’t happen in a day, or month, or year, or even decade! Even in this microwave society, we have to wait sometimes for our deepest hearts desires. Often times we think that years are going by and are being wasted, and we seem no closer to acquiring that thing that we are so desperately long for, but like the birds’ nests, it is happening bit by bit.
So as we build “our nests”, remember :
- Every twig counts…nothing is wasted! Every day of our life counts. Every day makes a difference; every day we learn something; every day our character is moulded; every day with Christ we move closer to glory; every moment, memorable or not, forms part of our whole life story.“And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ”.
- Every twig doesn’t fall into place. Some of my little friend’s twigs are falling into my plants and chairs. Similarly, everything we aim for won’t make the mark. Some things fall along the way, unfortunately not every marriage, job, health goal…not everything turns out as it should BUT they all form important parts of our Life Puzzle.
- Nest building takes help! I am assuming that it’s mummy and daddy, but you usually see two birds in the building process. To reach our goals we need help, to live our lives we need help! Be it your partner, a parent, a sibling, a friend…we need help to build the chapters of our lives. Don’t be afraid to ask for it, and certainly don’t be afraid to cry out to God for strength and resources in your building process. He is our ultimate Partner in building our nests!
- Your nest will face the elements. Through the wind and the rain, the building process continues daily. As it will be with life, everything won’t go ‘honkey dorey’…there are many, many trials and tribulations to be faced along the way, but keep building.
- Sometimes you have to start over and build a new nest. We, humans, have often swept away the twigs of ‘an inconveniently placed’ bird’s nest, so presumably, they had to start over and build a new nest because eggs still had to be hatched. As with life….when your world comes crashing down you have to start building all over again, painful and frustrating..yes, but start again. You have no choice because life goes on!
- A nest will be built and the Birthing will take place. Yes eventually in that spot or another, be it weeks or decades, you will complete your building and whatever God placed in you to be birthed…WILL BE BIRTHED!!! And then a new chapter begins.
So take heart my friends, don’t be discouraged, His eye is on the sparrow, so it’s certainly on you AND He is watching and helping you build your nests.
LIFE is a slow building process that happens one day at a time, one twig at a time. But none of it is a waste! Every step, every day, every twig counts! The trick is to take each day as it comes, face the challenges and enjoy the simple pleasures (like new Coconut M&Ms I discovered yesterday..yummmmm) along the way…. But keep building…one twig at a time!
Nest building:-) Coach D